Use Vista’s Compatibility Mode to run apps that aren’t quite Vista ready. Here’s how:
1. Right click the executable and click the Properties option.
2. Select the Compatibility tab.
3. Select the Run This Program in Compatibility Mode option.
4. From the drop-down list, choose the operating system you ran before upgrading to Vista.
5. If necessary, select the option to run the program as an Administrator.
6. Click OK.
I haven’t run into any must-have apps that aren’t working in Vista, so I can’t vouch for this, but it is supposed to be how it works.