There are two basic ways of creating a new partition. The first is through Disk Management from within the Vista operating system itself or, alternatively, there is a way of creating a new partition using the Vista DVD.
To create a new partition using the Vista DVD proceed as follows:
1. Switch on your PC.
2. Quickly insert the Vista DVD into your CD/DVD-ROM drive.
3. A message will appear asking you to ‘Press any key to boot from CD/DVD.
4. Press any key.
5. A black screen will now appear with a progress bar along the bottom. The legend say’s ‘Windows is loading files’.
6. After the files have been loaded the Language screen will appear.
7. Select your language from the list and press Next.
8. At the Installation screen press the Install Now button.
9. The product key window will now open.
10. Type your product key number into the available box and then press OK.
11. The End user License Agreement now appears. You ‘must’ accept this to continue.
12. The next screen to appear is ‘Where do you want to install Windows’.
13. At the bottom of this window you will see an option marked Drive options (Advanced), click on this option.
14. In this Window select ‘unallocated space’ from the list of partitions and then click New.
15. A size box will now appear under the New option.
16. Type the size of the new partition into this box (or simply accept the default), then click the Apply button.
17. The new partition will now be created.