Why are viruses and other malware attacks out there?

List all your symptoms here including Virus Software you are using.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Sun May 08, 2011 9:23 pm

When I help people out who have picked up some sort of malware I often get asked "why was I targeted?" The simple answer is "because it pays". There would not be such a network of people of dubious character working so hard to find ways to compromise people's computers if it didn't pay. Many articles exist that support this fact if one cares to read more about the malware industry. I am therefore posting this comment as a reminder for people to be certain that their computers have adequate security software installed, including a personal firewall. The software should be set to automatically update and to scan periodically. Additionally, since many third party (unrelated to Microsoft) applications often need patching I suggest that computer owners visit secunia.com periodically and choose the online scanner (free). This is a "one stop" security scan that will advise you about programs such as Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Quicktime, your browser, and even Microsoft products that are missing any security updates. Once scanned the results will give links to where you can download the updates all on the same page so that you don't have to track them down manually.
lorraine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Think You Have A Virus?