Failover

Post Your Home Networking Problems Here.

Failover

Sponsor

Sponsor

Failover

Postby adjad » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:10 am

Hi
I need a batch script or a method to balancing between a local network connection and a remote access connection on my computer, so if one failed the computer can switch automatically on the second.

Best regards.
adjad

Failover

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Failover

Postby online_fixes » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:22 pm

Would you give us a little more detail about both of the connections you want to switch between??

Please include the version of Windows you are using and the Make and Model Number of the Router.
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby adjad » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks you for answering so fastly.
Before all, i want to precise that i don't use router.
I have a windows xp professionnel edition pack 2 on my computer.
In one part, i have a internet connection by the lan network(so i use a network card). On another way, i install a dial up connection(CDMA) which provide me internet too(so I use a serial port com).
The problem i have, is how to make the lan connection Internet be primary connection and and the dial up connection Internet be secondary connection; So when the first fails the second automatically provide internet and when the lan connection Internet is up, the secondary connection is disabled automatically to permit the primary connection provide the internet.

I hope my details will help you.
Best regards.
adjad

Postby lorraine » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi,

Go to the Control Panel and select Internet Options. Then click on the Connections tab. Select the radio button that says "dial whenever a network connection is not present." I hope this is what you need.

By the way, you should consider installing SP3 for XP. XP with SP2 is no longer supported for updates by Microsoft unless you have a 64-bit version of the Operating System, which only goes up to SP2.
Links about this FYI:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... nd-support

http://www.infoworld.com/t/windows/wind ... -panic-050
lorraine

Postby adjad » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:30 am

Hi,

No your answer didn't help me anymore. With a persistent connection with the two links, I mean the leased line typically the Ethernet card and the dial-up link such as PPPoE connections or CDMA modems, I want the Ethernet card be prior on the CDMA connection because the ADSL Internet is faster than the CDMA Internet. But, with your solution, The CDMA is always prior on the Ethernet card.

Thanks also.
adjad

Postby lorraine » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:39 pm

Did you try the suggestions that people gave to you when you posted this same question on WindowsBBS.com in June 2010?
http://www.windowsbbs.com/networking/93 ... cript.html

The reply by "epermarel" on that site looked as if it might have been helpful.

Another user suggested this device:
http://cradlepoint.com/products/mbr1000 ... ess-router
Is this similar to what you are already using?

What is the exact equipment setup that you have at present, including make and model? Who is your DSL provider and wireless provider for CDMA? My guess would be that you need to discuss your setup with one of the providers if the suggestions made to you last June on WindowsBBS didn't work.
lorraine

Postby adjad » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:07 pm

Hello,
Thank you for reminding me of this post in June 2010.
But for all this time I have not had a solution that addresses my problem.
I do not want a hardware solution, but a software solution and free.
I heard that it is possible to write a script to do failover, but I have not found the script.

Best regards.
adjad

Postby lorraine » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:34 pm

I'd like to help but that is not my area of experience or expertise. Perhaps Gary might know of something.

Out of curiosity I typed the phrase"failover script" into a Google search engine and got many hits. Have you researched it this way yet? I see many discussions that are specific to certain environments and Operating Systems so you might have to delve into the search results a bit. I'm not sure if the results may even vary depending on your country and the type of online services there. I say that because much of what I have looked at in the last two days is written by people outside of the US. I wish you luck in your continued research.
lorraine

Postby adjad » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:52 am

Hello Lorraine.
Thank you very much for your response.
But who is Gary?
adjad

Postby online_fixes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:33 am

Hello,

I looked around this morning for a script for and came up empty on one for Windows. There is a good one for a linux box if you want to set one up at this address.

ISP Fail Over Script

http://www.planetmy.com/blog/isp-fail-over-script/

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Next

Return to Home Networking Problems!!