Classic Shell

Ask any and all of your Windows 8 and 8.1 questions here.

Classic Shell

Sponsor

Sponsor

Classic Shell

Postby lorraine » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi Gary,

I just heard about the free Classic Shell application to make Windows 8 and 8.1 look and "feel" more like Windows 7. Have you ever used it?
lorraine

Classic Shell

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Classic Shell

Postby online_fixes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:12 am

I haven't tried it or even heard of it. Do you have an address for a download so I can give it a try?

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby lorraine » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:23 pm

Here it is: http://www.classicshell.net/

My supervisor met with HP reps to discuss their education program, particularly laptops that are designed to compete with Chromebooks. I was not at the meeting but I had asked in advance if the laptops offered a downgrade to Windows 7 Pro to match the rest of our computing environment. The answer that the tech rep gave was that only Win Pro 8.1 was offered but that we could install Classic Shell to have it look like the OS that we are used to. I only briefly glanced at it since I have a long to-do list of other tasks that have priority.

I'd be interested in what you think of it if you have a test PC running Windows 8.1.

I have only had a brief opportunity to try Windows 8.1 standard edition while helping someone learn how to use it. I can find my way around it OK but cannot see its current interface working in our particular school environment without a lot of tweaking on my part. A third party application such as Classic Shell has my hopes up that it will greatly improve the user interface. I even read that it will work with Windows 10.
lorraine

Postby online_fixes » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:35 am

I have to dig out a laptop that has 8.1 running on it some time this week to try it out. I was on the site and downloaded it. It looks a lot like 7.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby lorraine » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:57 pm

OK, Gary, I'll be interested in what you have to say when you get a chance to try it out. I'm curious, however, by your statement that you'd be digging out a laptop with 8.1 on it. Which is your preferred OS for daily use? Windows 7?
lorraine

Postby online_fixes » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:04 am

The short answer is Windows 7 Pro! Close to being as stable as Windows XP Pro. I just downloaded the latest version of Windows 10 that I am going to try on a virtual drive.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Return to Windows 8 and 8.1 Questions.