Upgrade to Windows 10 may cause optical drive trouble

Ask any and all of your Windows 10 questions here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:25 pm

Although many people are generally happy with Windows 10--myself included--many others have had upgrade woes that do not seem to have any resolution from what I've seen in Microsoft Community discussions.

My own computer upgraded almost problem-free. My husband's upgrade has given us a headache. We thought that the process would go smoothly with his newer computer components and a new hard drive to replace the failing one. The firt problem I noticed was that indexing (the function that allows use of the search bar) did not work and had to be rebuilt.

The second problem is vexing and has no satisfactory solution. He lost the use of his DVD drive after the upgrade. The drive is the same as the kind that I have on my own computer and that drive works for me so what happened? It appears in the Device manage without errors. It shows in This PC and shows that discs have data on them but opening the discs shows no data (or music or video files).

I tried several fixes that Microsoft has posted and each fix works just once and then the drive stops showing any data again. Perhaps it's a motherboard driver that needs loading so I'll consider that option next. Meanwhile here's what I tried in order to find a temporary way to use any disc in his optical drive:

1. I put disc #1 into the drive. Opening the disc shows no data.

2. Restarting the computer with disc #1 in the drive then enables it to be opened. The disc can be removed and reinserted and it still will be read.

3. Take out disc #1 and put in disc #2. Disc #2 opens but shows no data.

4. Put the disc #1 back in the drive and it no longer shows any data when opening it even though it had just worked a few minutes before.

5. Restart the computer with disc #1 in the drive and it works again.

6. Put disc #2 in and it doesn't show data.

7. Restart with disc #2 in and it now shows data.

You can see that the "fix" is not a satisfactory one by any means because of the constant need to restart with the disc in the drive before another disc can be read. Yet it's better than nothing for now.
lorraine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Upgrade to Windows 10 may cause optical drive trouble

Postby online_fixes » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Hello Lorraine,

See if you can check the firmware on both drives if they are they same model.

Check the manufacturer’s website to see if there are firmware updates. It might involve burning a CD with the firmware and rebooting the computer or player off of the disc, or there might be a way to update it right in your normal OS – it just depends on the manufacturer’s process.

When I have hardware problems that's always the first place I go. Sometimes it works and other's it makes no difference.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby lorraine » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi Gary,

I did check with the manufacturer and I was sent a link to try something that many other people had already posted as a possible fix. It only worked once, as did any of the other fixes.

My next plan is to download all of the Windows 10 drivers for the Gigabyte motherboard and give them a try. I'll keep you posted once I get a chance to do it.
lorraine

Postby lorraine » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:22 pm

I did not have any luck with the motherboard drivers since Windows stated that they were already current. I tried again with the manufacturer and found a link to a software/firmware update but the applied update made no difference.

I have tried every other fix offered in Microsoft Community discussions that have worked for some, but not all, people and have not had any better results than what I've already been able to accomplish by restarting my husband's computer with the disc in the drive.

I'm going to give up because I've spent far too much time on this already and voiced my frustrations in a detailed reply on the Microsoft Community board. Maybe someone in Microsoft will take notice some day of the many people who have this problem and do something to remedy it.
lorraine

Postby lorraine » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:56 pm

Microsoft did take notice and an MVP on the Microsoft Community on which I had posted my problem has been replying to me and giving me suggestions to try. You can follow the thread here (which contains questions from many people): http://tinyurl.com/pcrulyt

As of this writing there are five pages of discussion. I have not had time to try the latest suggestions but when I do I'll post back with my results.
lorraine

Postby lorraine » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:57 pm

After trying one of the last two suggestions (updating the chipset) without any change I decided not do do the second suggestion because I was not sure if the motherboard would accept a RAID configuration. I queried the Microsoft MVP about that and he could give me no other suggestion so we agreed to consider the issue unresolved.

Many people may have had an easier time upgrading since I have not read about any widespread dissatisfaction or difficulties with upgrading in the technology digests to which I subscribe.
lorraine

Postby lorraine » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:39 pm

Surprise! After the last round of Windows updates this past Tuesday my husband's optical drive seems to be working again. I have not had the opportunity to look at the list of updates to see if I can pinpoint which one might have done the trick. If I do determine which update it was I'll post back.
lorraine

Postby lorraine » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:06 pm

Too quick to consider the case closed. After one day of working the drive has stopped working again. It's not an issue with the drive because we have figured out a "back door" way of getting it to work. It's just not working the way that it did when Windows 7 was the Operating System.
lorraine

Return to Windows 10