Preparing for the Upgrade to Windows 10

Ask any and all of your Windows 10 questions here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:05 pm

My Windows 10 Professional Upgrade from Windows 7 Professional went quite well for the old hardware that I have. I took several steps, however, to prepare for the upgrade as gleaned from various articles that I read.

I had reserved my copy of Windows 10 in advance and waited for a "you're good to go" message first. I then did the following to be on the safe side:
1. I created both an image and a repair disc of/for my Windows 7 system. You can find these free tools in the Control Panel.
2. I backed up all of my files to an external drive.
3. I researched any programs and devices for compatibility with Windows 10.
4. I opened my desktop's case and blew out all of the dust.

The upgrade took about an hour and the last reboot presented me with Windows 10. I was conservative with the options automatically selected for me, preferring to customize the options to my preference.

My only complaints so far:
1. The "numlock" key does not automatically come on at boot the way it did for Windows 7.
2. I had one incomplete boot due to a driver issue for a printer that I no longer own but which still resided in my registry after uninstalling it. I was able to get around it by disabling the automatic driver check done at each startup.

I then started the same process for my husband's computer and could not get past step one because the imaging task indicated that he had a problem with his hard drive. I'm glad that I was following the prep steps first before wasting time on a potentially bad upgrade process on a compromised hard drive!
lorraine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Windows 10