Error message 1719

Ask any and all of your Windows 7 questions here.

Re: Error message 1719

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:30 pm

I looked at the Olympus site and do not see much support for that camera model. However, Windows 7 should be able to see the camera without the additional software. That has been my experience with other cameras on both Windows 7 and XP.

That said, that doesn't help you now. I had another thought that I want to run past you that might be just as time-effective: since this is a relatively new computer you may want to restore it to its factory settings and start all over again. To do this you need to have the factory-provided HP Recovery disc. After that there is a process to follow that will offer to back up files that you don't want to lose. You will need an external storage device for this. I don't have time at the moment to go into detail but you can look at second entry (barfootkid) on this page that talks about this process: http://goo.gl/0QfOL See if it makes sense to you and then you can post back if you have more questions.

New computers, as I said, are likely to have few files accumulated for backing up and you may not have installed too many programs yet. If you do have additional programs that you installed make sure that you have all of your discs and know all of your account passwords since you will have to reinstall all of them again.

I often work on donated computers at our school to set them up for our use and have found that a fresh install of the Operating System sometimes is quicker than troubleshooting any "inherited" issues. That's why I'm suggesting this for your consideration.
lorraine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mybowlsbag » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:46 am

Hi again. I looked at that site re fcatory settings and I have the two disks decribed in there. I have backed up what bits need saving and I have the disks for my wifes craft ideas so I will have a go. Is the Operating system DVD the one I need to use?
mybowlsbag

Postby mybowlsbag » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:48 am

Lorraine
I have set the factory reset going. I'll let you know how I get on.. It's not taking long. But the time consuming bit will the Sharing files bit.
Colin
mybowlsbag

Postby lorraine » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Good luck with it! You will be the first person that I will have encountered who has tried a factory reset with Windows 7. I hope that all goes smoothly enough. I'm almost certain that HP will try to answer any questions that you have should you need advice during the process since they are trying to remain competitive on customer service.

You mentioned your wife's craft programs. I take it that they installed and worked properly in the past before the camera software messed things up. I'll give you some of my other thoughts on software for what they may be worth.

HP and many other manufacturers often include "trialware" with their original installations. Companies often profit by being paid to offer trial versions of software in hopes that customers will 1. either like the trial enough to go on to purchase the full product or 2. purchase a full product not so much due to liking it as to following the path of least resistance and sticking with it because "it's there."

When I help out friends with their computers I often run a nice utility called The PC Decrapifier (free). You may be interested in reading this review of the program: http://goo.gl/4D5FV Originally called the Dell Decrapifier, you can see that it is designed to help owners of new PCs from any manufacturer (and yours will qualify as new once it's restored to factory settings). It will also work for not new computers, too, by helping to uninstall other unwanted software. I've used it both ways--for new and not new PCs.

Use it only if you feel comfortable, however. Otherwise, you can go into Programs and Features and uninstall each trialware program separately. I'm a strong believer in choosing what I want to be installed after reading reviews and not having programs installed for me. That includes programs that hitchike or piggyback on other software. Please take a look at this article that I wrote for this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=307

Since I'm not a gamer and use my Windows 7 home computer mostly for office applications, volunteer work, and keeping up with family I have a minimum of additional software installed: antivirus and personal firewall (paid) , Microsoft Office (older version), Firefox web browser (free), Foxit Reader (free and NOT Adobe Reader), backup software (free--I don't care for Windows backup), Picasa photo software (free--and it should see your wife's camera fine without needing her software), Java, Flash, CCleaner (all three free), and paid software for my income tax.

As I said, I certainly hope that the restore process went well, and that Windows is busy doing all of its security updates. Regarding the updates, here's a caveat if your factory reset is for Windows 7 without SP1 (if it includes SP1 then disregard the rest of this paragraph). I looked up your HP model and whether there was any discussion about SP1. Take a look at this post: http://goo.gl/Pfn1B and you can see that if you are running an AV program during the SP1 update you may have trouble. General advice is to manually install SP1 before installing AV software.

When you get to the point of removing trialware and installing your desired software please feel free to post any questions about that step.

I hope that I have given you some useful information so that your wife will once again be able to enjoy her new laptop.
lorraine

Postby mybowlsbag » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:06 am

Gosh, Lorraine you are a busy bee! Thank you for your further help. Every thing went well with the factory re-set. It did not offer a back up anywhere, but that does not matter. I re loaded Firefox and Thunderbird iwthout any bother and Imported bookmarks. I switched off at that. This morning I decided to uninstall the stuff not required as you mention. I only uninstalled Office 2007 Trial or Thought I did . I may have mis read the name of the software. Anyway the out come is that I cannot log on now. When I put the password in I get "The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"
My first reaction is re do the factory reset, but as I cannot geet to this until tomorrow, your thoughts on any way through the Safe start up would be appreciated.
Thanks
Colin
mybowlsbag

Postby lorraine » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:30 am

Hi colin,

I like to be challenged and this is a bit of a challenge, indeed. I researched some more and came up with some possible approaches to your latest problem and will share them with you. I also am going to run some thoughts past Gary later.

1. I checked HP's site and saw that others have some issues with the same error message. Have you tried calling HP support since you must be under warranty? Having done a factory reset and then having the problem right after trying to uninstall one of their trial programs makes me think that they should help you out on this one.

2. Read message 7 on this HP forum to see about doing System Restore and try a restore point to before you had the corrupted profile.
http://goo.gl/7sVfA

3. I found this about a registry key with a .bak extension and then went on to see the same discussion on Microsoft's site.
The first article: http://goo.gl/gh9Kz (note his cautions)
Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215
Also from Microsoft, if it helps you: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... er-profile

Again, I suggest HP's support first. I don't see why they should load trailware and then have uninstalling the trialware cause a corruption. Did you uninstall it using Programs and Features or were you using the freeware utility?
lorraine

Postby mybowlsbag » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:18 am

Hi Lorraine
Thanks for getting back. As I cannot get into the machine at present I'll wait until I hear further from after your other discussions [ Sorry to hear of what you tell me, there]. In the meantime I will contact HP, again.
I have just dropped £20 [sterling] into the "funds box"
Thanks again
Colin

P.S. I use my desktop for much the same as you. I have loads of excel files for my various voluntary "jobs" all neatly filed in their own folders. I back up on Lacie harddrive where my wife keeps all her photos.
Nice to talk
Wait to hear from you
Colin
mybowlsbag

Postby lorraine » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Colin,

I'd be very interested in what HP had to say to you. After all, it was their idea to install the trial software so they should help you out if it didn't uninstall properly and left you with such a mess.

One question, and please don't be offended by my asking: When you uninstalled Office 2007 did you run the uninstaller or just delete it? I sometimes run across people who are used to deleting files and they accidentally end up doing the same for an application instead of running the uninstaller.

As for the rest of my reply it will be just a "look and read" answer from me since Gary is currently reading all of our correspondence to see which direction we might want to suggest next. Replying with a detailed report on your session with HP will be important for us to know.

You may find this article by a MS MVP helpful to read: http://goo.gl/43xib You can see that among the links it contains one that describes how to get onto your wife's laptop in safe mode to use the original administrator account to create a new profile.

Keep this link for future reference should you need it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/%EF%BF%BD

I read other forums where people described trouble uninstalling MS Office products. Some recommended using the CCleaner utility that I mentioned in an earlier post to clean up the registry after the uninstalller has run. Others recommended uninstalling programs using Revo Uninstaller (free) rather than Microsoft's Programs and Features. I have used both Revo Uninstaller and a portable application called IObit Uninstaller. You can read a comparison discussion here: http://goo.gl/Il898
lorraine

Postby mybowlsbag » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:59 am

Hi Lorraine
I couldn't get yesterday,too busy " doing". HP's answer was to send me to Microft support doc. 947215.
From there I went into safe mode & looged on through there. The only rhing on offer was a Systems Restore, so I did that, getting the Office Suite back. I've done Firefox and Thunderbird.
You ask how I Uninstalled Office. I went through Control Panel & chose uninstall.
I also get with this package a Trial McAfee[M]. As I have a 3 computer of theirs I uninstalled it. But then I can't get my package to install. Through M.s chat dept. a lady cleaned out the old files, but it still wouldn't load. M said go to Microsoft.blaming update errors.
So here I am steadily loading Windows Updates and will try again. By ther way I have a "Your uninstaller 2008 on my desk top. Sholud I load on to the laptop?
Be back later
Colin
mybowlsbag

Postby mybowlsbag » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:56 am

Lorraine
After entering Chat again at McAfee, I got a technician on who spent a lot of time, searching the registry, doing the things perhaps you suggested but I was scared to do. McAfee is now installed, so I will continue loading other software and networking together with the printer.
Thanks,again for your help. Be in touch no doubt later
Colin
mybowlsbag

PreviousNext

Return to Windows 7 Questions.