Windows 7 UAC trouble with Microsoft Excel

Ask any and all of your Windows 7 questions here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi Gary

I have an old version of Office XP Professional installed on Windows 7 Professional x64. For over three years I have gone to frequently used files via the jump list. In the last couple of months, however, when I click on a file listed in the jump list for Excel the application crashes. If I just click on Excel without using the jump list it is fine and I can open any of my files without a crash. I tried Detect and Repair but that did not fix anything.

Other applications within Office such as Word and Access do not have this problem. Also the jump lists for other applications such as Foxit Reader or Windows Media Player do not have this problem.

Do you have any ideas why one jump list would cause this trouble? I haven't seen anything online so far that describes my particular issue.
lorraine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Windows 7 Jump List trouble

Postby online_fixes » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Hello Loraine,

I have been thinking about this one for the last day and a half. In the documents that crash do you have a command or formula running in the ones that crash? I have worked with Excel for about 15 years and have never run into this one.

Will keep looking.

Gary :geek:
online_fixes
Site Admin

Re: Windows 7 Jump List trouble

Postby lorraine » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi Gary,

No, I don't have any formulas, macros, or any commands running. I have simple spreadsheets that keep basic lists for myself and my mother-in-law. An example would be my list of audio books and download dates from the Library for the Blind for my MIL or a class list of participants for a recent music workshop that our recorder society held.

My guess would be that despite using Microsoft Office Professional 2002 (a/k/a Office XP) for the last three+ years on this Win 7 Pro x64 computer there might be some incompatibility showing up after one of the Microsoft Update cycles for Windows 7.

As I'm writing this I ran the compatibility troubleshooter and the suggestion was to let Windows 7 run Excel 2002 in windows XP SP2 compatibility mode. Once I OKd that the wizard ran an additional troubleshooting scan and gave me an "issues found: incompatible application Microsoft Excel" message. I then clicked on "explore additional options" but am not going to pursue the suggestions to look online, contact a friend, contact Microsoft Communities, etc. at this time.

Now I have a new problem after running the wizard: When I launch Excel from the Start Menu and not the jump list I get a UAC prompt every time. I say OK and then it opens. I never had that happen before so now the jump list doesn't work and I get a UAC prompt for the Start Menu. I set the compatibility back to XP SP3 and put a check in the box to run the program as an administrator but that still gives me the UAC prompt. I even chose the Restore tab from the properties that offered to set it back to 2010 so I did but I still get the UAC for the Start Menu and still can't use the jump list. Once I click past the UAC and the error message on the jump list I am able to use Excel and open my files. The end result is OK; I just have to jump through more hoops to get it to work.

I don't want to do any more "fixing" that might result in Excel not opening at all. This does not happen to me with the jump lists or Start Menu for Microsoft Word or Access 2002. I had never used PowerPoint on this computer but I just opened it and it was fine.

I guess that Windows 7 is being cranky about the old Excel version so I'll have to live with it for now and consider getting Office 2013 (not 365). Have you used that version yet? I have used Office 2010 at school and I like it so far, not that I've even scratched the surface of all of its features!
lorraine

Re: Windows 7 UAC trouble with Microsoft Excel

Postby lorraine » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi Gary,

You will notice that I re-titled this post. It turns out that it wasn't the Jump List but something in Excel's settings that caused the trouble. As of tonight it is fixed. I cannot remember ever changing the program's credentials or compatibility but when I looked at some forums using different keywords than my previous searches I saw two suggestions. The first suggestion said to uncheck "run as administrator". I'm not sure why I had it checked in the first place but there it was so I unchecked it. There was no change, however.

The second suggestion said not to run it in compatibility mode. I saw that I had it set to run as XP SP3 so I unchecked that and it now works without triggering UAC each time. Also the Jump List for Excel's recent files works without crashing.

I checked Word and Access and they had not had anything checked for credentials and compatibility so I'm not sure how Excel got that way.

Just FYI, the posts that I saw online describing similar problems were not confined to legacy versions of Microsoft Office as I thought was the case with my version.
lorraine

Return to Windows 7 Questions.