processor comparisons

Ask any and all of your Windows 7 questions here.

processor comparisons

Sponsor

Sponsor

processor comparisons

Postby lorraine » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:36 am

Hi Gary,

I've been looking at Windows 7 computers online (I don't want Windows 8.1) for the time when both my school and friends need to say "good-bye" to XP. I always get stuck at the processor type when looking at options. My own Windows 7 Professional computer has a Core 2 Duo but it was purchased before the i series came out. For general productivity and non-gaming use is an Intel i3 processor sufficient or should consumers consider nothing less than i5? I ask because at one time P4 processors were the best bet for XP but now they have difficulty handling all that they need to do on XP computers. For friends/colleagues considering Windows 7 I'd like to recommend a processor that has the potential for providing good performance for an extended time.
lorraine

processor comparisons

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: processor comparisons

Postby online_fixes » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:50 am

Hello Lorraine,

This is a tuff subject to get into. The core i7 is for heavy duty PC user.
The following link always has great information on processors.
http://tinyurl.com/b2xssmw

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Re: processor comparisons

Postby lorraine » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks, Gary. I had seen that page but thought that maybe you had some "hands-on" experience with either the i3 or i5. What I find confusing when I look at ads for computers is that in addition to the Intel "i" series and AMD processors I also see Intel processors just listed as Pentium or Celeron. This page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In ... processors lists Pentium and Celeron as available for the 64-bit architecture even for ivy Bridge. My past experience with Celeron (much older model) is that it's very weak. I wonder if it has improved?

My whole point about pondering this is that if one is looking for economy without sacrificing performance too much can other processors other than the "i" series be considered? Have you had any direct experience with the various Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge series of processors outside the "i" series?
lorraine

Return to Windows 7 Questions.