Windows 7 Diagnostic-Performance

Ask any and all of your Windows 7 questions here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi Gary,

I just read an article at http://bit.ly/aeaXme about looking at the Event Viewer|Applications and Services|Microsoft|Windows|Diagnostics-Performance|Operational log to see boot time, shutdown, and other performance issues. Since I value your advice I'd like to see an article from you about your experience with using this to diagnose factors that may be causing Windows 7 to degrade in boot time performance. (I have Win7 Pro x64, Core2 Duo 3GHz and 4GB RAM).

I recently tinkered with trying to improve boot time before I came across that article. It had gotten so out of hand that the Welcome Screen would display for 2-3 minutes before moving on. I found that changing some services from "automatic" to "automatic, delayed start" seemed to help since today the Welcome Screen was on only for a few seconds. I also had updated any drivers yesterday that Windows Update recommended and then disabled some startups via CCleaner's startup manager tool. Although the boot time did improve, tracking down applications that may degrade startup time seems to be somewhat of a guess and check exercise.

Do you agree?
lorraine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Windows 7 Diagnostic-Performance

Postby gcham05 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:18 pm

Sorry Lorraine you caught me in the middle of setting up XP Pro in Windows 7 Home editions. It can be done and I am going back through and gathering the screens shots now. Below are a few suggestions.
Could be caused by an incompatible device/driver.

The first thing I would recommend is disconnecting everything that's not essential, and see if that solves the issue. If it does, then add devices back over time to see if/when the problem returns. For example: System is fine.. shut down... add the USB device’s one at a time... start up... wait until system is slow... Now you know what device is the cause.

I know I have two Flash Drives, an External Hard Drive and a NAS drive connected and they reek havoc on startup time if I forget them.

The following are not mine but should give you some more ideas.

You can also:

Run problem reports:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/45 ... tails.html

Use the Troubleshooting tool:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/47 ... oting.html

Start to Safe Mode and do things like repair your computer:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/66 ... tions.html
Please respond and let us know the status of the issue.
Gary - InternetFixes Support.
gcham05

Postby lorraine » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:30 pm

Thanks for the links, Gary. I had not done anything with USB devices because my mouse is the only USB device connected at startup. My other USB devices are connected only when needed. I must say that after using Windows 7 for almost a year it has worked so well up until this point that I never "got under the hood" until now. Before reading this post I opened the Action Center to review my security applications to make sure that there were no conflicts. Then I looked at msconfig startup items and decided to change a couple of applications from automatic startup to manual or automatic/delayed start (I used Blackviper's site for reviewing settings for services). That helped a lot, too.

The links that you gave me today helped refine my search even more. The troubleshooter said that I had no problems except startups that might be causing delays so I checked once more and turned off two more startups. I had already gone from almost three minutes on the Welcome Screen to about 10 seconds so I'll see at next boot if it becomes even faster.
lorraine

Postby lorraine » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:22 pm

Looking at this post I realized that I never updated when I solved the problem of the very long boot time. It turns out to have been two factors: 1. Windows Defender and Windows Firewall were running at the same time as my antivirus and my personal firewall. This was a bit strange since third party applications usually turn off the Windows applications but they didn't, for some reason so I turned off the Windows apps myself. 2. Comodo personal firewall (free version) had installed a new component called Defense Plus that interfered with components of my antivirus/antispyware software. I turned off that component and left the other parts of the firewall running. Once I did this my boot time sped up to 6 seconds at the Welcome Screen from the previous 2-3 minutes!

Bottom line: be careful how many security applications are running at the same time since any inadvertent overlap will most likely cause conflicts, system slowdowns or, even worse, potentially reduce the effectiveness of the security applications.
lorraine

Return to Windows 7 Questions.