How to reinstall Windows Experience Index

Ask any and all of your Windows 7 questions here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bwc99 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Something has caused my WEI to quit working.

The error message is generated after is runs but does not display:
"The temporary file needed to perform work could not be placed on the disk.
Could not find a suitable drive for the file."

It will run from a command prompt winsat formal
But I then only see the final 2 numbers and want to see the GUI History chart.

The B:\Windows\performance\winsat\datastore file is empty.

Since everything I have tried to fix the problem has failed, I am wonder if the best way to fix the problem is to somehow reinstall the application?

If so how can it be done?

BRIAN
bwc99

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: How to reinstall Windows Experience Index

Postby lorraine » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi Brian,

I'm going to ask a couple of questions for myself and Gary's information and then give you some links to other forums with discussions of the same problem that you're having.
1. Did you install windows 7 as a dual boot with another Operating System? Since you mention drive B: and I see this on other forums with dual boots this may be your problem since Windows usually looks at drives A: and B: as floppy drives. What is on drive C: on your computer? See discussions here:http://goo.gl/U81gl and here: http://goo.gl/tQvGg (look at post #8, for example)
2. Are you running Kaspersky? See mention of AV issues here: http://goo.gl/WXSeL

Based on the discussions on the other boards it seems to be related to either multiple drives with Windows 7 not on drive C:, dual booting, the AV program, or drivers. If reading the discussion boards doesn't help you please post back with the particular details about your system. Since you stated that it "quit working" it appears that a recent change to your system may have triggered it. Perhaps the change messed up the drive letters? Please let us know what changes--hardware, software, or both--you may have made just prior to the trouble so that we can see if advice for System Restore, sfc /scannow, or drive letter managment would be appropriate as next steps.
lorraine

Postby bwc99 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:16 am

lorraine,

Thanks so much for the reply and the help.

The first 2 links sure seems to point to the problem I am having.
That is, the A: and B: partitions and the conflict that it can cause Windows.

"What is on drive C: on your computer?"
Yes, I have a dual boot system; C: is Vista and B: is Win7 and A: is a reserve partition put on my by the manufacturer Gateway.

"Are you running Kaspersky?" No, I am using Avira.

I think the problem started when I was trying to installing Rebit, the back up program.

I have 2 external HDDs. One is assigned I: and is dedicated for Rebit exclusive use, and J: is used for other backups.

I have been working with a Rebit tech rep for quite some time to get Rebit installed on the B: drive.

After countless attempts we finally have it fully installed on the C: drive but not on B:

It sounds like both the WEI and the Rebit instll problems are being caused by the same issue!

They are suggesting I change the J: drive to something else. However,it is where all my original back up are, including multiple Win7 image backups. I know how to change the partition letter, but I know it will cause all kinds of problems for windows when it tries to find files.

It appears that I should not have installed Win7 or the B: drive, but its there now, and again, I don't know of a way to change the partition from B: to something else with out causing more problems than I have now.

Is there a way???

Thanks for the help.

BRIAN
bwc99

Postby lorraine » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:43 am

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your information. I'm going to give you another link since even though I use Win7 Pro x64 I have not used a dual boot system in the past. Currently my main tech support experience at work is with Windows XP Pro and some Windows Vista (for friends). Windows 7 has worked so well for me so far that I haven't had to get under the hood.

Take a look at post #2 by Terry and see if it makes sense and if it might work for you. It does involve doing a clean install, however. Is there a reason for you to keep 'Vista? If you've moved on to Windows 7 (which version do you have?) maybe you should remove Vista, install Win 7 on C: and you could always put Vista back on another partition if you really need it. I know that may not be possible, however, if you have a lot of applications installed already but it's just a thought.
The link: http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7162
lorraine

Return to Windows 7 Questions.