speedy pc malware

Ask any and all of your Vista questions here.

speedy pc malware

Sponsor

Sponsor

speedy pc malware

Postby lorraine » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:29 am

This is just the beginning of a post with my saga about trying to remove this from a friend's computer. I'll give more details later since there are so many things that I'm trying, none of which have worked so far. My biggest problem is that even in safe mode with a clean boot selected explorer.exe keeps restarting every 5-10 seconds which greatly limits what i can do. Still, I have made some progress in getting certain unresponsive programs working again.

sfc /scannow has only fixed a few problems and I haven't had time yet to review the cbs log line by line to see what else needs to be done.

The application is not listed in Programs and Features. When following some online advice to remove registry entries these entires come back on the next boot even if I toggle System Restore so that there are no restore points for it to refer to.

It has disabled the resident AV program and Windows Updates do not seem to be working despite running Microsoft Fixit.

You can see that I have my work cut out for me. Since this program falsely states that it is a Microsoft partner I will be reviewing the Microsoft Communities discussions and suggestions on that topic later. I'll post back if I figure this out since it may help others.
lorraine

speedy pc malware

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: speedy pc malware

Postby online_fixes » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:58 pm

Hello Lorraine,

Hadn’t heard of this one yet but from what I’ve read it is from files stored in the cloud. The following are two links that will remove it so they say.

http://www.malwareremovalguides.info/sp ... all-guide/

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/speedy-pc- ... s-removal/

Let me know.
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby lorraine » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:19 am

Gary,

I had seen both of those sites and have started to try their suggestions. Before continuing with their suggestions I am using one of the Microsoft Community guides and have gotten delayed because of a long chkdsk scan that took all evening.

Interesting points this evening: 1. chkdsk was grayed out in the tools section for the system drive. I had to run it from an elevated command prompt.
2. Adwcleaner was seen as a trojan by my AV and was blocked. I temporarily disabled the AV in order to download it to a thumb drive. then things got really interesting when I took the drive to the infected computer in order to copy it to a folder with other utilities. As I was copying the file I got an error message that the file no longer existed and, sure enough, it had disappeared!

I will try again and rename the file to try to cloak it but I'm not sure if that will work. In the meantime I have already scanned with Malwarebytes and it came up with nothing. I used Hitman Pro once but will do it again since I'm not sure if I remembered to run it as an administrator the first time.

Since my work week is about to begin I will have less time to work on this but I'll keep at it and let you know if I make any progress.

Here's another interesting thing that I found out tonight. I was looking in the Event Viewer and saw that the reason that the antivirus program would not run was because of a problem with .Net. Now I know why windows Update is not being allowed to install updates to the versions of .Net. This SpeedyPC malware is very "efficient" at disabling any protection components! I wish I know how it regenerated the registry entries that I delete, too.

In the meantime take a look at these links that I also will be using:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... a5a876daa1

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 88d2d3cd95
lorraine

Postby lorraine » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:50 pm

Success! AdwCleaner did the trick where all other scanners did not. I just had to be careful to find a "clean" version of AdwCleaner since some versions of it made my antivirus program block it.

After the program was gone I was able to reinstall the antivirus program and do other updates.
lorraine

Return to Vista Questions.