Lost CD/DVD ability to record,or write

Ask any and all of your Vista questions here.

Re: Lost CD/DVD ability to record,or write

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kriket » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:17 am

HI I,m using Corel DVD movie maker,no I never visted labelflash or used it at least not to my knowledge.
kriket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kriket » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:54 am

HI I down loaded and ran a speedmax and at the end of scan it came up with over 84 problems,This is hard to believe and I thought about all those free D/L scans that always seem to find a lot of problems that you need to purchase in order to repair.I,m scared to run the fix all because not knowing what I,m doing this could delete something and I,ll just make it worse.With ccleaner,norton utility,system mechanic,not showing any problems makes me wonder,what would you do Lorraine. To answer questions from last reply,,I,ve never been asked to diable anything like that,in regards to built in recording software.I mentioned the time I deleted those upper an lower filters the same as Gary said in his reply would that have anything to do with my problem.
kriket

Postby online_fixes » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:45 am

Hello Kirket

If Speedmax gave you a log of the problems it found just copy and paste them here before letting the program fix anything. I took a quick look at their website and the program may do some things you might not want.

If you have Norton, System Mechanic, ccleaner, etc all running on the PC at the same time you should just pick one of them because most of them have parts that run in the back ground using system resources.
Gary
http://www.internetfixes.com

Make a Donation!
http://www.internetfixes.com/main_paypal.htm
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby kriket » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:46 pm

I only ran the scan but never used their suggestions and since then I uninstalled it.I only used cc cleaner to verify speedmaxs results and uninstalled that as well,system mech.I use once in a great while making sure it doesn,t conflict with norton.When I run norton diagnostic test it never comes back with any problems in regards to DVD-CD loss,and this is true with microsoft fix it center scans as well.I must be overlooking something I can,t see but what I don,t know
kriket

Postby lorraine » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:41 pm

Let's review where we are. Your drive shows up in the device manager without any problems noted. You've tried many diagnostics (Speedmax doesn't count since it appears to be rogue software--good thing you got rid of it) and nothing really shows up so let's think along the lines of either a dirty or failed drive.

Have you ever used a lens cleaner? It can work wonders.

Also, I neglected to ask a few basic questions about the physical aspects of the drive but I saw a flow chart that reminded me about going back to square one with questions:
1. When you insert a disc does the drive light come on?
2. If the light comes on does it stay on and do you hear the drive spinning up or does the light go out/spinning sputters and dies?
3. If it has power and spins up a disc such as an audio disc does it play? How about another disc such as one for installing or running a program? Does that work?
4. If everything is fine up until this point does the drive recognize a blank disc that you want to write to of does it go into a state of "drive not ready" or some other message?
5. If it recognizes a blank disc why don't you try once more with either via drag and drop or with the Toshiba Disc Creator software that came with your laptop? If it doesn't work please give us any error message that occurs.

Of course, if you can't get to steps 3, 4 or 5 then I'd suspect either a connectivity issue or a dead drive. If you can play a disc but not write to it try cleaning the lens and then try again.
lorraine

Postby kriket » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:40 am

Yes I used it CD/DVD lens cleaner,The light does come on and you can hear the drive spinning,after 30 or more seconds the drive will slow down to a stop and light goes out.I've tried a disc used to install my norton 360 and also a purchased audio as well,(both worked fine before) As for a blank disc to write,it will prompt me to put a writable blank CD in when I have done so already.When I put a program CD in it says unable to read.All the blank CD,s I used have worked fine before and tried on second computer and were fine.
kriket

Postby lorraine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Then it is my opinion that your drive is toast based on what you said. Yes, it once worked but there comes a time when hardware can fail. The fact that you said that it stops after 30 seconds and doesn't recognize discs indicates that. You mentioned using the drive for installations "before" but if you put the Norton 360 disc in now does it recognize the disc and attempt to run the installer or is it no longer recognized? If it will not read, write, or recognize anything anymore and if it stops responding after 30 seconds I'm not sure if there's much else that you can do other than replace the drive.

Let's see if Gary has any other angle on this.
lorraine

Postby online_fixes » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:15 pm

Hello Kriket,

I am with Lorraine on this one. With everything you have tried its coming down to the hardware and there is only one way to fix that. How old is the laptop and do you have the extended warranty on it?

Gary
Gary

Make a Donation!
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby online_fixes » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Hello again,

Had a little more time tonight an found a couple more things for you to check.

Take a look at the following link. It applies to XP, Vista and Windows 7.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Second click on your start button and copy and paste the following into the search box.

GEARAspiWDM.sys

Make sure you are searching the entire C drive.
Gary

Make a Donation!
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby lorraine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Some more ideas--and questions:
1. You mentioned Corel DVD Movie Maker. Did that come installed with your laptop or did you install it later?
2. Do you also have another program such as Roxio or Nero (or both)?
3. Did you ever use the software that came with Toshiba for making DVDs or have you only installed and used the Corel program (which version?)

I ask all of the above because I just read that sometimes one program will interfere with another one and "hijack" the drive, making it not respond when the other program is used. Please list all DVD-creation programs that you have installed and the versions.

You might want to try a clean boot as described in this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

It is a bit of a guess and check process but maybe it might enable you to eliminate some conflicts that may not be evident.
lorraine

PreviousNext

Return to Vista Questions.