Lost CD/DVD ability to record,or write

Ask any and all of your Vista questions here.

Re: Lost CD/DVD ability to record,or write

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby online_fixes » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Hello Again,

Use the following only if you have installed iTunes or a form of Ghost and have found this file in the search function I asked you to do (GEARAspiWDM.sys). :oops:

Please understand that MODIFYING THE REGISTRY CAN CAUSE SERIOUS PROBLEMS and you do the following at your own risk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Manual Removal – 32-bit
Vista, Server 2003, Windows XP and Windows 2000

WARNING: MODIFYING THE REGISTRY CAN CAUSE SERIOUS PROBLEMS that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.

Select Run... in the START menu, and type in regedit
This will start up the Registry Editor.

Delete the following key from the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GearAspiWDM

If present, delete the following key from the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GEARSecurity

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} key:
remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6D807884-7D21-11CF-801C-08002BE10318} key:
remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{CE5939AE-EBDE-11D0-B181-0000F8753EC4} key:

Reboot

Delete GearAspi.dll from Windows\System32 folder

If present, delete Gearsec.exe from Windows\System32 folder

Delete GearAspiWDM.sys from Windows\System32\Drivers folder

Delete the Windows\System32\GEARAspi.dll value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

Delete the Windows\System32\Gearsec.exe value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

If present, delete the Windows\System32\Drivers\GearAspiWDM.sys value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

Reboot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
================================================================================

Manual Removal – 64-bit
Vista, Windows 7 64-bit
[↑]

WARNING: MODIFYING THE REGISTRY CAN CAUSE SERIOUS PROBLEMS that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.

Select Run... in the START menu, and type in regedit
This will start up the Registry Editor.

Delete the following key from the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GearAspiWDM

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} key remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6D807884-7D21-11CF-801C-08002BE10318} key remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{CE5939AE-EBDE-11D0-B181-0000F8753EC4} key remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

Reboot

Delete GearAspi.dll (32bit) from the Windows\SysWOW64 folder

Delete GEARAspi64.dll (64bit) from the Windows\System32 folder

Delete GearAspiWDM.sys (64bit) from the Windows\System32\Drivers folder

If present, delete the Windows\System32\GEARAspi.dll value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

If present, delete the Windows\SysWOW64\GEARAspi.dll value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

Delete the Windows\System32\GEARAspi64.dll value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

Delete the Windows\System32\Drivers\GearAspiWDM.sys value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

Reboot
Gary
http://www.internetfixes.com

Make a Donation!
http://www.internetfixes.com/main_paypal.htm
online_fixes
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:26 pm

I think it's starting to make sense after Gary found the possible relation to third party software. You said that you installed Norton 360. Take a look that this advisory from Symantec dated 11/9/11:
http://goo.gl/B8oDQ

It only pertains to version 5 of Norton 360 so check out which version you have.
lorraine

Postby kriket » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:11 pm

I found the upper filters in both keys but just want to make sure I,m doing this right,REMOVE ,,does this mean delete,I don,t see GEAR security but will dble chk. After reb ooting it says Delete GearAspi.dll from Windows\System32 folder ,,could you please explain whre an how I find an open them.I do not no where to begin.
kriket

Postby online_fixes » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Remove means Delete... JUST MAKE SURE the keys are exactly as I have shown. I have never had anyone mess up a registry edit and I don't want you to be the first.

To find a folder just Right Click on the Start Orb and select Explore all users. A window will open and you will see a list of files on the left and the contents of the folder on the right.
Gary

Make a Donation!
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby lorraine » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Since you are correctly cautious about editing the registry I'm writing this as a friendly reminder to look at my 1/29/12 post that contains the link to Gary's article about backing up the Windows Vista registry. It also tells you how to restore it if you need to. Once you have backed it up you can proceed with more confidence.

I always advise people to back up any important data periodically (I use a free--to home users--backup program rather than the Windows backup). This will give you an extra sense of security knowing that you have copies of important files. Even though your DVD burner doesn't work at the moment you can purchase a high capacity USB drive (thumb drive) rather inexpensively. You might even want to consider an external hard drive if you have large amounts of data to back up. Caution: if you back up to a thumb drive be sure to transfer the backup files to another hard drive--either another computer where you can burn discs or to an external drive. USB drives are great but they are not recoverable if they fail so they should not be the sole "keepers" of your backup data.
lorraine

Postby kriket » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:27 am

I,m gonna attempt deleting this now I have one question what is a double byte mean. In looking at the instructions I basically am deleting all the gear files right.
kriket

Postby online_fixes » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Double byte is used in 16-bit coding schemes. Don't pay any attention to those. You are removing the gear files listed. I don't remember you saying that you found any of the files or programs that I talked about.

I'll look back through the string.
Gary

Make a Donation!
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby kriket » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:09 pm

There is several files as you described GearAspi.dll -64.dll-WDM.sys(64bit) an few more as in instructions.I will be very careful and double check all before I delete any.I followed instructions on backing up files explained earlier.
kriket

Postby kriket » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:08 am

online_fixes wrote:
> Can you take a look and tell me know what kind of Optic drive it has and
> what kind of third party burning software you are using?
>
> What happens when you right-click on a file and select Send To the Optic
> Drive?
all the files you mentioned are present in my registry (regedit) GearAspi.dll etc.and those will be the ones I delete using instructions exactly as you instructed.If I need to know anything else before I do please let me know.
kriket

Postby kriket » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:18 am

online_fixes wrote:
> Can you take a look and tell me know what kind of Optic drive it has and
> what kind of third party burning software you are using?
>
> What happens when you right-click on a file and select Send To the Optic
> Drive?
One more thing ,,when I delete the keys mentioned I right click on the left column where I find 6D807884-7D21-11CF-801C-08002BE10318 and then click delete,and do this with all
kriket

PreviousNext

Return to Vista Questions.