Can't get in to Startup Repair to boot normal

Ask any and all of your Vista questions here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glennthecarp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:36 am

Hey ...how are all you doing????

Need some help concerning Vista....Can I pick your brain???...My wife's laptop wouldn't start up other night....I was able to use safe mode
and tried restore...same thing...tried to bring it back to the point where it last worked....I then thought I had won....but it still didn't work..the thing booted up, asked for her password and wouldn't go past that point....it got stuck in the welcome mode....tried that twice....then I tried the F-8 deal....

tried to go into Startup Repair...I followed the instructions until it asked for the password.....all it said was USER(it didn't bring up her user name, nor gave a choice) ....my wifes password wouldn't work nor could she remember using any other....Is there a easy fix for this situation ....

I heard of a Virus that just hits Vista???...Does this sound like that??

How might I get rid of this Vista virus ??....I(SHE) have Microsoft Security Essentials and it didn't pick anything up...any place online I could fix this???..It is still working with the Safe mode.... with internet...

Its funny...There was never a Administrative password put on her computer?? It still wont let us complete the Start up repair without a user password...there was never another (2nd) user on her machine....

It that the symptoms this virus causes...

I even have the Blue screen STOP error message it spit out......What do I do with it???

can I shut off the driver that is preventing her system from starting normally....start up normal, then replace or fix the drive??

I know this stuff is all common sense, but I don't want to ruin her computer...
Any help would be appreciate!!!!

glennthecarp
glennthecarp

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Can't get in to Startup Repair to boot normal

Postby online_fixes » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:45 am

Hello,

Could I get you to post the make and model number of the laptop?

Many times user's won't enter a password when setting up a PC for the first time. When asked for it just press enter.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby online_fixes » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Hello,

If you can get back in to Safe Mode using F8 try one of the following. Number 3 is the preferred!!
There are several ways to run CHKDSK.
*Option 1:
1. Open My Computer.
2. Right click on the Hard drive, click Properties.
3. Click on the Tools Tab.
4. Under Error Checking click on Check Now.
5. Click the Start button to run Check Disk.
Using choosing the options "Automatically fix files.... or Scan for and Attempt recovery... " you will get the following message:
"The disk check could not be performed because exclusive access to the drive could not be obtained.
Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?"
Simply click on YES.

*Option 2:
1. Click on Start, Run.
2. Type in CHKDSK and press Enter.
3. Check Disk will run a very quick check of the drive.

*Option 3:
Complete Check:
1. Click on Start, Run.
2. Type in Command and click Ok.
3. Type in CHKDSK /F or /R and click Ok.
You will get a message:
"The disk check could not be performed because exclusive access to the drive could not be obtained.
Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?"
4. Press Y for yes.
5. Close the command prompt and reboot the system.
/F switch Fixes errors on the disk.
/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information, implies /F switch.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby glennthecarp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:44 pm

Hey Gary...
Thanks for giving me a start with this thing....
She has a Dell Inspiron 1525....Vista Home
I finally was able to check the disc through your CHKDSK F & R thru the command line....We have been trying to use the auto fix for a few days... couldn't get in till now..

I guess it didn't find anything wrong because when it tried to Boot up normally...it got stuck on the Blue screen right before it asked for the password....we waited a while but she finally got frustrated and went back on thru Safe Mode....
Again...I tried the Restore at least 3 times and tried to go back to the last time time it fired up correctly....

What's next buddy....we have no money to bring it somewhere to get it fixed and guess what...my wife never backed up her data....I can't start from scratch yet...

Is there anything else I can do from home here that might bring it back!!??
I do have the STOP ERROR message it spit out...wrote the numbers down...will that help???

Also...is there a Virus that eats up Vista only....is there a way to determine that???

I'm pretty flustered with this...If it fires up in Safe Mode...how bad could it be???all she was doing was down loading photos from my Web cam

Any help would be appreciated :?

Thanks in Advance
glennthecarp
glennthecarp

Postby online_fixes » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:07 am

Go ahead and post the Error code from the blue screen and then try the following.

Please start the Command Prompt by Clicking Start and then Run and typing cmd and pressing enter.

When the dos window opens type or copy & paste sfc /scannow and press enter.

Windows will check the presence and versions of all vital files.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby glennthecarp » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:03 pm

GARY...

THE COMPUTER WON'T EVEN FIRE UP IN SAFE MODE NOW!

F-8....doesn't even work......F-12 lets me in now.....I ran all the diagnostic....no errors came up....

after that I tried to log on with F-8.....why doesn't it work anymore???? Then after F-12 wouldn't even work....

Why didn't it find or correct any errors....Don't know what to do...

Is there any thing else I can do....

glenn
glennthecarp

Postby online_fixes » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:38 am

You can try running the Startup Repair feature to fix system files that may have become corrupt or gone missing. Here's how:

You will need your Vista installation DVD/CD provided you created these when the PC was new.

1. Insert your installation disk

2. Restart your computer. Your computer should boot to your installation disk. If it won't, you will need to change the boot order in your BIOS. Consult your computer manufactures operating guide for this procedure.

3. You may receive a prompt asking you to press any key to start Windows from the installation disk.

4. Select the language setting and then click Next.

5. Select Repair your computer

6. Select the operating system that you would like to repair and then click Next.

7. Select Startup Repair from the System Recovery Options menu.

8. Follow all of the on-screen prompts and answer the questions accordingly. Your system may restart as repairs are made.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby glennthecarp » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Gary...*****PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE REPLY*****
I have already tried that.....We purchased the computed from Dell....The Vista Home Premium was already installed in the computer when we got it...
When all of this first started I was told to do the same thing you are saying....I found out that her system as it was made....didn't have Startup Repair on the disc they provided....It wasn't listed as an option when the screen came up....only to replace the system if you had wiped it clean....I was told this particular system had the Startup Repair in the Hard Drive

When I first came into this forum, I was in the process of trying to access the Startup Repair in her laptop...it wouldn't let me...I finally was able to get into it ....as I started to go into the Screen where A Startup Repair could be attempted...I followed the instructions until it asked for the password.....all it said was USER(it didn't bring up her user name, nor gave a choice) ....my wifes password wouldn't work nor could she remember using any other....with your help I got into the systems Startup Repair( I think it was the same) by giving the command to Type in CHKDSK /F or /R and click Ok....*****Is this the same as using the Startup Repair using the other avenue!!!

Well ...I did that Gary and it didn't say there were any problems found or fixed!!! still would NOT BOOT UP NORMALLY ...because my wife was still using her computer for her E-mail and facebook during all of this, I think it caused the laptop not to be able to boot up even in the Safe Mode....that is using F8...

The last time I tried, I was only able to get the F12 screen to come up and what I did then is run a full diagnostics of the system....even doing it a few different ways....whole system compared to just what your problems might be....you know...you get a bunch of choices in there...I must have did it four times...(blue screen, Can't boot normally etc)...The only problem it came up with is that her battery was no longer able to hold a charge...already knew that....

The last time I tried to boot it up The F8 nor the F12 options wouldn't bring up anything....The Dell name pops up then she tries to start up and there is nothing but the empty screen...Light on bottom of laptop blinking indicates Hard Drive working.....but nothing....

I am sorry to babble on...but it is important that you know the whole story...
I don't know what to do know...any ideas would be appreciated...
Thanks
GLENN

Below is the ERROR MESSAGE that came up on the Blue screen Early in this HORROR STORY....

STOP
OX0000007E
(OXC0000005, OX80606160, OX88D67818, OX88D67514)
kdcom.d11- *(ORdll)*
Address 80606160 base at 80605000, date stamp 4f8f0f4f
glennthecarp

Postby online_fixes » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:21 pm

The error code you sent points to the Rustock rootkit v 1.2. Try getting it into Safe Mode and download the fix at the following link to try and remove it.

http://www.gmer.net/

The installation and use instructions are at the same link.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby glennthecarp » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:44 am

Would not let me use it...virus must have blocked removal...I will have to figure out something else or go to another site, for this, where it allows help....I just don't know
glennthecarp

Next

Return to Vista Questions.