Can't get in to Startup Repair to boot normal

Ask any and all of your Vista questions here.

Re: Can't get in to Startup Repair to boot normal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby online_fixes » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Not sure what you are referring to when you say its not working.

Do you mean the link above or the program download at the website?

If its at the website disable any antivirus and malware software you have running before downloading.

If all else fails download it on another PC and transfer it on a flash drive.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:36 pm

When helping out friends in the past who have had unbootable computers either due to malware or hardware issues I have sometimes found success with one of these two options:

1. On another computer download a bootable rescue program from one of the major antivirus providers. The one I used in the past no longer comes with a bootable version so I'm going to give you a link to a page that you can look at to research your options:
http://www.malwarehelp.org/anti-malware ... nload.html

I have not used any of these so I can't recommend a particular one.

2. You can get an external 2.5 " hard drive enclosure and then remove the drive from your wife's laptop, place it in the case, and connect it to another computer via USB. (You will have to know if it is an IDE or SATA interface). If the other computer has a good antivirus program as soon as the laptop drive is connected the AV will offer to scan it for you. If not, you can usually right-click and choose the scan option. Either way, scan it immediately once it's connected. After it is cleaned you can access your wife's files to back up and then replace the drive in her laptop. If all goes well it will boot. This link is a recap of what I have written (look at the "extreme cases" section).

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Virus

Please post back if you have more questions or need clarification. Your problem is not an easy one to fix, to be sure, but you might have some success with these approaches.
lorraine

Previous

Return to Vista Questions.