XP Home shutdown error

Ask any and all of your Windows XP questions here.

XP Home shutdown error

Sponsor

Sponsor

XP Home shutdown error

Postby lorraine » Wed May 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi Gary,

Of all the possibilities for causing a slow shutdown on XP I'd like to ask about one particular error message that has just started appearing on my husband's computer: "HSM sink window" pops up as not responding when he tries to shut down and he has to end the task.

I haven't found much online about this. One suggestion about the HSM issue was to check the hard drive's integrity. I plan to do that once I'm sure that my husband has done a current backup.

The computer is a custom-built one that CompUSA offered (as in "choose your own components and we'll build it"). That was in 2003 and it was a big mistake from the start. The original drive failed after 13 months and then the motherboard failed in 2006. After both repairs the computer has been working reasonably well but seems to be getting slower and crankier lately. The HSM error popping up out of nowhere makes me think that something serious might be brewing.

Other specs: OS = XP Home with SP3, RAM is 1GB, P4 with chipspeed is about 3GHz. Antivirus is from Vipre (Sunbelt) and there have been no viruses detected in any scans. We manage startups through CCleaner and only allow the antivirus and USB wireless device to initiate.

I had another thought, however, after talking to him about other slowdown issues and what he describes as his wireless device losing the Internet connection unless he does a repair: it might just be the CPU running at or near 100% when things start to go haywire. I asked him to check the performance today and get back to me to see if that's what happens with the CPU right before any other problem.

This is happening with more frequency at work--teachers will complain about slowness or "my mouse isn't working" and I see the CPU at 100% with what I consider "normal' programs running. All of their computers are P4s, too (which is why I posted another message about that on the board.)

I'll let you know what my husband says after monitoring the CPU performance today.
lorraine

XP Home shutdown error

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: XP Home shutdown error

Postby online_fixes » Thu May 03, 2012 9:33 am

Hello Lorraine,

Everything I see on the subject is about the way the processor handles file location on the hard drive and the in the order in which they are used. Example would be files used everyday are located so the processor can access them quickly and those used weekly are deeper in the drive.

I would just run chkdsk on the drive before doing any thing else. See if you have a bad sector on the drive.
http://www.internetfixes.com/question_a ... F00178.htm

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby lorraine » Thu May 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks, Gary. My husband used Western Digital DLG this morning and did an extended test. It passed so we looked at the tab that shows details of various HDD tasks and the threshold for concern. Most were OK but one number was getting close to the threshold so he/we will look that up later to see what it is exactly and what it might foretell. We'll do chkdsk, too, to cover all bases.
lorraine

Postby lorraine » Thu May 03, 2012 11:59 pm

Here's the latest update. Chkdsk showed no errors. Western Digital's SMART information showed no great concerns. We're going to watch the number for the Multi Zone Error Rate. That's the only number that got close to the threshold.

I did see a few other interesting things as I took time to look around. First, when my husband was printing a newsletter using his new HP LJ CP1520 and Microsoft Publisher the computer frequently stopped responding. I couldn't even open the Task Manager. When the printer stopped the print job the Task Manager appeared. I didn't see consistently high CPU usage on the performance tab but there had been some high spikes. We started another page printing and I checked the processes running to look at their memory usage. I saw one or two processes that I didn't recognize so I launched Firefox only to find it that it stalled. The same for IE. The print job finished and after a couple of minutes both browsers opened.

I looked online to see if there were any discussions about this printer, particularly the services that it runs, and found advice to set two of the services to manual instead of automatic so I did. I then looked at other non-HP services and found that some weren't needed to start automatically either so I set them to manual.

One service could not be managed, however. My husband had installed a Logitech webcam a while back but no longer uses it. The Logitech LVPrcSV runs all the time but does not appear anywhere under services. I saw other posts online to that effect, too, making management of the service not possible. Rather than trying to figure out how to disable the service my husband will uninstall all Logitech software at the next opportunity.

The final odd information that I saw was in the Event Viewer under Security. In all my years working on XP I have never seen anything other than Success Audit but this computer has many Failure Audits. These are just a few of the instances that I filtered before saving:
Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 8:31:12 PM Security Logon/Logoff 529 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 8:31:12 PM Security Account Logon 680 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 7:43:20 PM Security Logon/Logoff 529 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 7:43:20 PM Security Account Logon 680 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 7:26:40 PM Security Logon/Logoff 529 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 7:26:40 PM Security Account Logon 680 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 7:26:38 PM Security Logon/Logoff 529 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 7:26:38 PM Security Account Logon 680 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 7:10:10 PM Security Logon/Logoff 529 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 7:10:10 PM Security Account Logon 680 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 6:38:12 PM Security Logon/Logoff 529 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 6:38:12 PM Security Account Logon 680 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 6:38:11 PM Security Logon/Logoff 529 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 6:38:11 PM Security Account Logon 680 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 5:10:10 PM Security Logon/Logoff 529 SYSTEM CARL
Failure Audit 5/3/2012 5:10:10 PM Security Account Logon 680 SYSTEM CARL

Alternating with all of these entries were Success Audits.

I find this odd about logon/logoff because he is the only user and Windows goes directly to the desktop on boot--no Welcome Screen dialog.

The log only goes back to April 22 so I don't know how long that this has been happening. The only thing that I can think of that might be related to this might be that when we got the HP CP1520 we set it to be shared so that I can connect to it via my Windows 7 Professional computer (not easily but it eventually works).

Even though my computer wasn't on when these events were logged is it possible that his computer is trying to communicate periodically with mine and causing the errors to occur?

I know that I've mentioned many variables in this one post but I think that somehow all might be related to causing the system freezes and poor shutdown so I included all of them.

At the end of the evening, with many of the services listed above stopped and set to Manual, shutdown not only had no errors but also was faster than I've seen it in a long time. Maybe we're making progress.
lorraine

Postby lorraine » Sat May 05, 2012 11:39 am

I think that we're sorting out all of the various interactions. So far the error message listed in my first post and subsequent slow response and lockups have gone away after managing the HP services and a couple of others.

I found out today that the Failure Audits occur each time the wireless adapter for Internet loses connectivity. As soon as the connection comes back a Success Audit appears at the same moment.

This morning we uninstalled all Logitech software and needed to do a restart to complete the task. When the OS finished loading the desktop there was no connectivity to the Internet without my clicking on the "view available connections" and selecting ours to connect to so maybe the Logitech software had something to do with the prior frequent dropped connections. Time will tell on that one.

Time will also tell about shutdown errors and speed. I'll post back when there is more of a history on it with these changes.
lorraine

Postby lorraine » Tue May 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Here's an "FYI" update on the HP CP1520 that I thought might have been contributing to freezes, shutdown errors, and loss of Internet. Yesterday we decided to try different drivers since some of the problems still existed sporadically, such as failure to boot unless the printer was powered on first. The user guide stated that PCL6 was the default driver but that PCL5 and Universal Print Driver (UPD) PS were available online. Easy to find? NO. Anyway I eventually found them and decided to try the PCL5 installation first but it crashed right after the "connect USB cable/device detected successfully" message.To top it off it froze the computer to the extent that even the Task Manager couldn't be brought up, causing a need for a soft power off and showing the error message given at the beginning of this topic before shutdown. Now we know that in this case it is related to HP.

On restart the PCL5 installer tried to run again and stalled/froze up--another restart needed. This time the wireless Internet device was knocked offline as had happened before with this printer (despite having the wireless service for the printer turned off in its control panel). We finally got rid of the partial installation and tried the UPD PS driver. We installed it as a single printer and not a dynamic one and the installation completed without any lockups, printing a test page that was OK except for the text being cut off on the last line.

While my husband tested printing from other applications I went to my Windows 7 Pro computer where I had previously used the CP1520 as a shared printer under PCL6. When I tried to add it with the UPD PS I first had to download the x64 drivers and got an installation confirmation, offering to print a test page. When I went to the room where the CP1520 was to check for the test print my husband said that a second printer appeared in his printers folder once I added it to Windows 7 and after that he could no longer print to the printer using the drivers he had installed for XP AND--it froze his computer again. My Windows 7 test print never printed. This time we didn't blame HP but chalked it up to XP Home and Win7Pro not getting along with shared devices that well. Still, if the default PCL6 driver for XP had worked the way it should have (Windows 7 was happy enough with it) I would not be writing this.

After I removed the CP1520 from my Windows 7 computer my husband's XP computer was able to resume printing without any further trouble so far with the UPD PS drivers.
lorraine

Return to Windows XP Home and Pro Questions.