Newer versions of Microsoft Office on XP?

Ask any and all of your Windows XP questions here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi Gary,

Even though people are still holding on to XP until 2014 they might need to consider installing a newer version of Microsoft Office. I have noticed that, especially with Office 2010, there are graphics requirements for "some or advanced features".

Many people have only integrated graphics and not separate graphics cards (unless gamers).

What is your experience with running one of the newer versions of Office on XP?
lorraine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Newer versions of Microsoft Office on XP?

Postby online_fixes » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Lorraine,

I don't have a setup here right now with Office 2010 that I can give you any good info on. I'll do some research and see what I can come up with.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby lorraine » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks, Gary. I will be doing some research on my own next week but I thought that I'd ask you just in case you already have had experience with Office 2010. I thought that some of your readers might find tihis topic to be of interest as we discuss it.

This is what I've noticed so far from a brief encounter with Office 2007 Standard on an XP Pro computer with a Core Duo 2.13 GHz processor, 2GB RAM but integrated graphics (don't know the dedicated RAM for the graphics offhand). When opening up Word 2007 it hangs momentarily at its pretty blue background and then it will complete loading the ribbon and blank document. I had a need to install both Access and Powerpoint 2002 on that same computer and they open almost instantaneously. I went back to Word 2007 and tried it several times with the same result so it's not as if a background task was slowing it down when I first tried it.

I'll keep you posted, too, on what I find.
lorraine

Postby online_fixes » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:58 am

Lorraine,

Try the following link for all 2010 Microsoft Office system products to verify that your computer meets minimum system requirements.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/produ ... 10407.aspx

This link seems to cover all 2010 products. Seems that Microsoft made a mistake and put all the needed info on one webpage.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby lorraine » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:43 pm

That link seems quite thorough--more so than one I had found last week. Thanks. I have a question about this requirement that also applies to some other software in school that I'm trying to support:

"Graphics hardware acceleration requires a DirectX 9.0c graphics card with 64 MB or more video memory."

The way I read it for Office (and other software that states the same requirement) is that one must have or install a separate graphics card rather than use the graphics integrated with the motherboard, right?

Next, in past experience with Microsoft's System Requirements recommendations vs the real world I have found that such requirements are on the low side. For example, the processor requirements states 500MHz or faster with no mention of chip type. I currently find that P4 chips are pushed to the limit so I would think that Office 2010 would not really run well on a P4.

I'll look at the requirements in detail in the coming week.
lorraine

Postby lorraine » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:09 pm

As of this date I now have Office Professional Plus 2010 installed on a computer with two P4 chips running at about 2GHz (can't recall at the moment--I'm not writing this at that computer) and with 1 GB RAM. It has a separate graphics card that is old--not capable of HD video but it must be sufficient for running Office since I have had no trouble with it. My next task will be to install our two remaining licensed copies of Office 2010 on computers that only have single P4 CPUs and integrated graphics. If I see any significant performance differences I will post back.
lorraine

Return to Windows XP Home and Pro Questions.