SATA replacement drive question

Ask any and all of your Windows XP questions here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi Gary,

I have a Lenovo small desktop (from 2005 0r 2006) at school which has a dead drive. The drive is an 80GB SATA 1.5 drive. I see online that the current SATA 3 is backward compatible as is SATA II. We do not need a drive with a large capacity and we only need to keep this computer going for less than a year as support for XP ends and we start getting Windows 7 or 8.

My questions:
1. If we were to get an SATA 3 drive with 500GB, let's say, is there a chance that the old computer will not recognize the drive's capacity?
2. I see that there are refurbished drives available which would be a cheaper option. What is your experience, if any, with refurbs when it comes to reliability?
lorraine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: SATA replacement drive question

Postby online_fixes » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:49 am

Lorraine,

When you say 1.5 drive do you mean 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive? The reason I ask is I have a Seagate 160 GB drive that I am not going to use that I can just send to you after I format it.

I have never tried any refurbished drives.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Re: SATA replacement drive question

Postby lorraine » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Yes, Gary, I meant a 1.5Gb/s 3.5" drive. I appreciate the offer of the drive but I just got a new WD Caviar Blue 7200RPM 500GB 3.0 Gb/s drive with a 2 year warranty today for a little under $55.00. The school will reimburse me, of course.

BTW, the cost of a new drive was only $3.00 more than a refurbished one.

What's the RPM on your drive?

If you'd like to send the drive anyway (if you do I'll give you the address) after formatting it I'm sure that the school would appreciate a spare. We have mostly refurbished IBM/Lenovo towers from 2005 for staff (making them the same vintage as the computer I'm working on) and I can imagine that another drive may go before we replace the computers.
lorraine

Return to Windows XP Home and Pro Questions.