Microsoft Updates continually reinstalling

Ask any and all of your Windows XP questions here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15 pm

(Note: at first I thought that this was a problem for Windows 7 x64 but it also has occurred on Windows XP 32-bit so I am republishing my article here.)

For Windows users the most recent Patch Tuesday on 9/10/13 has created an annoying issue for some users with updates for the Microsoft Office 2007 Suites (related to the Microsoft Office Compatibility pack). The particular problem updates are KB 2760588 and 2760411, (although I have seen one or two others listed in online forum discussions.)

As of today's date Microsoft has issued a statement that they are working to fix the problem. In the meantime users experiencing this issue are advised to hide the two updates until a fix becomes available.

This link shows the response from a Microsoft support engineer: http://tinyurl.com/lh52twe

If you don't want to see these updates again in XP you can either go to the Microsoft Update site, scan for updates, and then deselect the problem updates, selecting "don't notify me again". If you already have the updates sitting in your tray with the yellow shield waiting for your action, click on it but do not use the express installation. Use the custom installation, clear the checkboxes for the updates, and then click on "finish". You'll be asked if you want to be notified about these again and you can say "no."

If you don't see a yellow shield in your tray you have Automatic Updates set to "download and install". Change the settings to "download and notify". Then you will be able to control which updates install.
lorraine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Windows XP Home and Pro Questions.