November 2013 updates failed

Ask any and all of your Windows XP questions here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:31 am

Hi Gary,

My husband's XP Home Edition SP3 computer will not install the latest updates from this past Tuesday. Our other XP Home computer had no trouble so it's specific to his computer (custom build, c. 7 years old). There has been no virus activity.

I spent the entire evening trying to troubleshoot the issue. Searching update-by-update would be too tedious so I enlisted Microsoft's Fix-it tool. After it ran it said that it had fixed some missing or corrupt files but it also said that it could not fix the service registration, and cryptographic service components. When I clicked on details I got a conflicting report that said that some of the missing files and cryptographic components were fixed and the only ones left to repair were the service registration and "problems installing recent updates".

After the Fix-it report it offered to fetch more information but when I tried to do so it said that it failed to connect to Microsoft and then it said that the Fix-it service was not supported any longer. Go figure since I just used it.

I found another Microsoft article that referenced a WUTemp folder but it was not found on this computer. It then said to Delete anything in the Windows Update folder V4 but that folder was already empty. It finally stated to delete two dlls (I forgot to notate them) and restart. No luck.

I'm out of time now but am thinking about System Restore or running sfc /scannow. What do you suggest?
lorraine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: November 2013 updates failed

Postby online_fixes » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Hello Lorraine,

I would try sfc /scannow first.

I noticed that there were many updates related to IE 11 this week. I've said this many times before, but it needs repeating: you must keep IE updated, even if you typically use another browser. IE is more than a browser: it's a key component of the Windows operating system.

I looked through two update lists that I rely on and can't find anything that may help you. The following two sites are the ones I use.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/secu ... n/ms13-oct

Windows Secrets master Patch Watch chart

Let me know how this turns out.

Gary
online_fixes
Site Admin

Postby lorraine » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:56 am

Hi Gary,

Well, I now know what the problem is but, for the life of me, I can't figure out why it would have happened. What burns me up is the amount of time that it takes to research and try to remedy an issue since Microsoft does not make it easy to find answers. After a few false starts and a another try at Fix-it (all that did was say that I had a problem that it couldn't fix) I did a keyword search with the specific error code for all of the failed updates: 0x80246008. I found that not only was Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS) not enabled it was also missing entirely from Services!

According to Microsoft Article ID: 883614 I could restore BITS by the run command given in the article. However, when running the command it asked for the disc with XP SP3 and my husband's disc was an earlier version. I then followed the advice to go into the Windows directory where the Service Pack i386 files are and that seemed to work, meaning that BITS now appeared in Services. The service said it was stopped. When I clicked on Start I got an error message "Could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer Services service on Local Computer. Error2: The system cannot find the file specified." The path to the executable is listed as C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs.

That's as far as I got this evening before I ran out of time and decided to update you on the issue so far.

Since the file is missing I can think of two scenarios:
1. malware has gotten onto my husband's computer despite his scans (listed below), or
2. in his zeal to keep malware off his computer, my husband has run Malwarebytes and Superantispyware standalone scans in addition to our Vipre antivirus scan. Perhaps the file was accidentally quarantined or deleted. (He does not have three antimalware programs running at once, just Vipre with the other two as second and third opinions.)

I will have to check the logs on the two secondary scanners to see if anything is listed as quarantined. If I don't see anything I wonder if going back to a System Restore point in the October security update week might fix everything. That was the last time that Microsoft Updates worked correctly.

Also, I wonder why sfc /scannow did not find and replace the missing BITS in its scan. Likewise for the svchost file?

As for keeping IE patched I agree. Windows XP only is capable of IE 8 and neither my husband nor I use it when on an XP computer. We use Firefox both on XP and on my Windows 7 computer.
lorraine

Postby lorraine » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:23 am

It's been a very long evening but I think that I now have the problem fixed since Windows Update is now downloading the 8 failed updates as I write this.

This is the page that eventually helped me after I replaced the missing dlls mentioned in my last post:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

I did not run the automated Fix-it tool but chose the lengthy and tedious manual steps and by the time I finished I finally was able to get the Background Intelligent Transfer Services to start.

I just checked again and now the updates have finished downloading and are installing.

I'd love to know how this mess ever occurred!
lorraine

Return to Windows XP Home and Pro Questions.