back to school printer "bargains"

Add your questions regarding Printer Problems here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lorraine » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:56 pm

"Tis the season to get a new printer, perhaps in anticipation of the new school year's printing needs or perhaps due to its being bundled with a computer purchase.

If the printer is bundled, then you get whatever is part of the bundle, of course. Before installing it check online to see if there are newer drivers. I sometimes am asked to install such "freebie" printers for people and since they are often older models (that's why they're free) there usually are newer drivers available. Also, when installing the drivers I usually check to see if there are options to deselect. HP, in my experience, is notorious for adding many features that 1. a person doesn't necessarily need and 2. a person may need but doesn't need to start up automatically and have running in the background all the time. You may wish to check online to see which features you will really want to install. Perhaps all you really will want are the drivers only.

If you are buying a new printer you may want to assess your printing needs carefully. Most inkjets are hogs and an inexpensive inkjet may cost you a lot in ink, especially if you like to print photos. I have found an online photo printing service to be much more cost-effective. If you see an good price on a laser printer, whether monochrome or color, that may be the way to go. Toner may seem expensive but you will get a lot more for you money. Do some research and read reviews and then you can decide which way to go.

Finally, if the printer is for a college student you can check to see if the school offers remote printing service. Our daughter started off with an inkjet that was bundled with her computer but she eventually gave it to me to take home and she used the college's service. She got tired of running out of ink at an inconvenient time, not having much room to put the printer, etc. It was no less convenient to go to the printing center than it was to go out to buy ink and paper so she used the center (for free, in her case).
lorraine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Printer Problems?