inkjet thoughts

Add your questions regarding Printer Problems here.

inkjet thoughts

Sponsor

Sponsor

inkjet thoughts

Postby lorraine » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:48 pm

For those people who prefer inkjets to lasers when purchasing a new printer you may want to check to see what type of color cartridge it comes with. Printers can have an "all-in-one" tricolor cartridge or they may come with separate individual tanks for cyan, magenta, and yellow. Having used both types at home and work, it is my personal preference to choose an inkjet printer that offers separate tanks for color. As you might imagine you may find that if only one of the three colors runs out in a tricolor cartridge you will be wasting money by replacing the cartridge before the other two colors are gone.

When I had an old HP inkjet I squeezed out the last bit of a tricolor cartridge just by changing my font color to something else--not always the best solution, of course, but it made me feel less wasteful. I found that I could do the same on a Canon inkjet, too (I haven't used inkjets from other manufacturers) . Older Epson inkjets, however, were designed to stop printing when one of the three colors was out without any option to override it. I couldn't even print in black. Nothing would work until the tricolor cartridge was replaced. Needless to say, I have stayed away from Epsons when I have had a choice. Perhaps they have changed their policy with their latest models so If you are in the market for an Epson that uses a tricolor cartridge it would be good to check it out first as to how it behaves when one color runs out.

What about refilling cartridges instead of buying new ones? I've tried both doing it myself and going to a place that does it. I have not been satisfied that it's worth the effort for the money saved. Besides, some printers just don't print that well with non-OEM ink, in my opinion.

As always with any inkjet, read the reviews first to see if it is rated well for conserving ink. The manufacturers make their money on the consumables so some printers may use up a lot of ink per print compared to others.
lorraine

inkjet thoughts

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Printer Problems?