Didn't Find What You Were Looking For? Just Click Here And Ask Us!
Create an automatically generated table of contents
You can create an automatically generated table of contents based on the navigation structure of your web, and pages with hyperlinks that are not included in the navigation structure. A site visitor browsing your web can click any entry in the table to jump to that page or file.
1. In Page view, position the insertion point where you want to create a table of contents. Tip: You can create the table of contents on a page that contains other content, or on a page by itself. If you want to create a table of contents for a large web, you should probably create a special table of contents page containing only the table.
2. On the Insert menu, point to Component, and then click Table of Contents.
3. In the Page URL for starting point of table box, type the relative URL of the page to use as the starting point for the table of contents, or click Browse to locate the page.
Tip: The starting point determines which pages are leftmost in the table of contents. Pages pointed to by hyperlinks on the starting page will be indented one level in the table of contents.
4. In the Heading font size box, select the paragraph style for the heading (the top-level entry, or starting page) of the table of contents. To exclude the starting page from the table of contents, click None.
Tip: If you're creating a table of contents on the same page as the starting point for the table, the heading of the table will be a hyperlink to the same page. For example, if you're creating a table of contents on the page Index.htm, and the starting point of that table is Index.htm (the same page), the heading of the table will be a hyperlink to Index.htm. If you want to exclude such a circular hyperlink as the heading of a table of contents, click None in the Heading font size box.
· If your web includes pages pointed to by multiple hyperlinks and you want the table of contents to list each page only once, select the Show each page only once check box.
· To include pages not pointed to by any hyperlinks in your web, select the Show pages with no incoming hyperlinks check box.
· To automatically recalculate the table of contents whenever any page in your web is edited, select the Recomputed table of contents when any other page is edited check box. Recalculating a table of contents for a large web can be a time-consuming process. If you select this check box, you may find that it takes longer to save pages. If you don't select this check box, you can manually regenerate the table of contents by opening and saving the page containing the table of contents.