a horizontal line in my document that will move when I add new text
One easy way to do this is to put a
border on the paragraph (either a top border or a bottom border will work, just
be aware of which paragraph you put the border in):
- Place the cursor in the
- Choose Borders and Shading from
the Format menu.
- On the Borders tab, select a
- Click the buttons in the Preview
area (you can choose top, bottom, left, or right borders).
You can also draw a graphic line
with the Line tool:
- Choose Toolbars from the View
- Select Drawing to display the
Drawing toolbar (it usually appears at the bottom of the screen). Note:
There is usually a Drawing button on the Standard toolbar that will display
the Drawing toolbar.
- Click on the Line tool to
- Click and drag in your document
to draw the line. Hold the [Shift] key while you drag to draw a perfectly
straight, horizontal line.
It's best to add graphic elements
after you have completed the editing of your text, then you don't have to worry
about them moving to undesired locations as you edit.