Encrypt a File in Windows 2000
- Open Windows Explorer so that
you can view the file or folder that you want to encrypt.
- Right-click the file or folder
that you want to encrypt, and choose "Properties."
- In the Attributes section near
the bottom of the Properties dialogue box that appears, click the
- In the Compress or Encrypt
section of the Advanced Attributes dialogue box that appears, place a check
(click) next to Encrypt contents to secure data.
- Click OK, and OK to close the
- If you chose to encrypt a
folder, you may be prompted as to whether or not you want to encrypt
sub-folders and existing files in the folder.
- Use the file as you would any
other file - except it will only be accessible to the user that encrypted
- To decrypt a file, follow the
same steps above, except clear (click) the box mentioned in step 4.