Creating a new file type
If you have a lot of work documents
that you would like to be able to stand out, you can create a different file
extension rather than the normal .DOC file format.
Here's how it's done:
- Go to Explorer and select
- Select the File Types tab
- Click New Type and the "Add
New File Type" box will appear. (You may have to click the Advanced box
to continue with the process.)
- Fill out the description however
- In the "Associated
extension" box, type Work (or whatever you want). Do not use spaces or
periods in the name.
- Click the New Button and the
"New Action" box appears.
- In the Action box, type
- Click the Browse button to find
the application you want to use to open your files (Word, in this
- Click Open, and then click OK.
Now you can select some additional
options such as "Enable Quick View" (if supported), "Always Show
Extension," and more. You can also choose to change the Icon. OK, all done.
Now your new file type will appear in the Folder Options Box.