Install The Handwriting Recognition Engine In Windows XP!
If you recently purchased a new computer, the Microsoft handwriting recognition
engine might have been installed by the computer manufacturer. No further
installation is necessary. If you installed Microsoft Office XP, or if you
purchased a new computer with it installed, the handwriting recognition engine
is included but might not be installed. Follow the instructions below to install
Handwriting recognition engines are language-specific. The first five
Microsoft engines that are available are Simplified Chinese, Traditional
Chinese, English, Japanese, and Korean. Engines for other languages will become
To determine if the handwriting recognition engine is installed.
1. Open Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.
2. On the Languages tab, under Text services and input languages, click Details.
3. Under Installed services, click Add.
If Handwriting recognition is available as an option, the handwriting
recognition engine is installed. If it is not available, the engine is not
To install handwriting recognition if Microsoft Office XP is installed
1. Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
2. Click Change or Remove Programs, click Microsoft Office XP, and then click
3. Click Add or Remove Features, and then click Next.
4. Under Features to install, double-click Office Shared Features.
5. Double-click Alternative User Input, click the box next to Handwriting, and
then click Run from My Computer.
6. Click Update.
- To open Regional and Language Options, click Start, point to Settings, click
Control Panel, and then double-click Regional and Language Options.
- To open Add or Remove Programs, click Start, point to Settings, click Control
Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- For East Asian languages, the handwriting recognition engine is installed
automatically with Microsoft Office XP.
- For more detailed information about using handwriting recognition, click the
Help button on the Language bar.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Did this Article Give you the
Information You Were Looking For?
If you found this information useful,