Create An Emergency Start Up Disk For
of you wanting to create an Emergency boot disk that will boot you straight to
the desktop here is a simple method.
a floppy disk into your floppy drive.
2. Open the command prompt (Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt
3. Type format a: and press Enter.
4. Next open
5. On the top toolbar click Tools followed by
6. In the Folder Options Windows click the View tab
7. From the list select
Show Hidden Files and Folder and place a check mark in
the box to the left of this option.
in the folder options window scroll down another two lines and then remove the
check mark next to the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
option. A message will appear telling you that you have decided to display
operating system file. Press OK to close this message. Now press Apply followed
9. In Windows explorer again look for the C: directory - this is the root
10. You are looking for the following files
NTDETECT.COM copy these to
the floppy drive.
11. Next open Notepad (Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/Notepad) and type the
Default= multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows [operating systems]
click the File menu and select the Save as Command. In the text box type "a:\boot.ini"
(You must include the quotation marks. The boot ini file should then be saved to
the floppy. You can now exit notepad
13. Now reboot your machine to test the emergency disk. If all has gone well you
should be able to boot to the desktop.
boot ini file applies only to a single partition hard drive. If you are
dual booting this will need to be altered accordingly.
Did this Article Give you the
Information You Were Looking For?
If you found this information useful,