Q. In past versions of Windows I remember being able to use my Dial Up Modem to dial out as I would a normal phone. I can not find the Phone Dialer in Windows XP?
A. By default Phone Dialer is not added to the communication menu. Therefore unless you know where to find it your immediate assumption is that Windows XP no longer uses Phone Dialer. As you can see, from the instructions below, Phone Dialer is alive and kicking.
To Run Phone Dialer
1/ Click the Start button
2. From the Start menu click Run
3. In the Run dialog box type: dialer.exe and press Enter
4. The dialer application will now open
To Add the Phone Dialer to the Communication Menu
1. Click the Start button
2. From the Start menu click All Programs followed by Accessories
3. From the Accessories drop down menu click on Windows Explorer
4. In Windows Explorer click on the drive/partition your Windows XP is installed on. This is usually C:
5. Navigate to Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Communications
6. Click File on the main Windows Explorer toolbar
7. From the drop down menu click New and then click Shortcut
8. The shortcut wizard will now open
9. In the shortcut dialog box type: c:\program files\windows nt\dialer.exe
10. Click Next
11. The 'type a name for this shortcut' dialog box now appears
12. Type: Phone Dialer
13. Now click Finish
14. Phone Dialer should now appear on the Communications menu
Did this Article Give you the Information You Were Looking For?