Q. All of a sudden, the Run and Search options are missing from the Windows XP Start Menu. What caused this, and how can I get them back?
A. Here's one way to fix it:
1. Right-click on the Start button
2. Click on Properties
3. Select the Start Menu tab
4. Press the Customize button
5. Select the Advanced tab
6. Scroll down through the Start menu items list
7. Check the box next to Search and/or Run
8. Press OK twice
If that doesn't work because the item was already checked, then Uncheck it, press OK, go back in and then Recheck it. Some people report this works for them.
If you still don't get the menu item back, and you're on a Windows 2000 system, try this to get your Run button back:
1. Use Windows Explorer to find gpedit.msc (probably c:\winnt\system32\gpedit.msc) then double click on it to launch the Group Policy Editor.
2. Go to User configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu & Toolbar
3. Double click on Remove Run from start menu
4. Select Disable, then press OK
Did this Article Give you the Information You Were Looking For?