I have a file on my Desktop that I canít get rid of. I have Right
Clicked and selected delete with no luck. I tried to Drag and Drop the
file in the Trash Bin again with no luck. Can you help.
Nothing is Undeletable
If you ever encounter
a stubborn file that simply refuses to delete there is a way.
Remember that some
files are system files so deleting them can cause the system to fail
altogether. This process is handy when trying to get rid of a bad or dangerous
- Open a Command
Window (Start Accessories - Command Prompt)
- Leave it open but close down all other running programs.
- Now via the Ctrl Alt Del or from the Task Manager (Start - Run Type
TASKMGR.EXE) under the processes tab, end the Explorer.exe process.
- Now leaving the task Manager open, return to the Command Prompt window and
type "cd path" to take you to the folder where the file is. eg. "cd
c:My Documents" (Without brackets. Also note there is a space between cd and
- Now type "DEL " (eg "DEL badfile.exe" again without the brackets.
- Once done go back to the Task Manager and under File - New Task type
EXPLORER.EXE. This will kick start the windows GUI (interface)
- Close task manager.
As with any tweak back
up the registry first and make a copy of the file you are about to delete to a
floppy disk just in case that file is needed for some purpose.